Solidarity Tour with Cafe Etico
Please note that this tour has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. We appreciate your understanding.
Ever wanted to learn more about coffee, where it comes from, how it’s grown, and who it impacts? Join Café Ético in January 2012 on a coffee-themed learning tour to Nicaragua and Guatemala, where you’ll pick coffee, meet farmers, and learn as much as possible about coffee and its relationship with the environment and social justice.
Coffee is more than just a product we pick up off the grocery store shelf – there’s a long path and a lot of work between planting and enjoying a freshly brewed cup. Plus, the coffee you drink has a direct impact on the lives of the people who grow it and their environment. A lot of issues to consider when drinking your coffee! On Café Ético’s tour we’ll delve into the world of fair trade organic coffee, co-operative farming, diversified agriculture, human rights, rural development, and much more.
Our tour will take place January 20 – 31 2012, with the following itinerary (some changes will likely be made to this schedule, but it’s more or less set). For more information, visit our website or contact Kirsten Daub at 604-708-8782 or at email@example.com.
- Day 1: Arrive in Managua, Nicaragua
- Day 2: Travel to Matagalpa, and learn about the history of co-operativism in Nicaragua; tour historic Matagalpa.
- Days 3-5: Tour organic coffee farms, and meet with local co-operative leaders (plus some free time to relax).
- Day 6: Travel to Guatemala; tour historic Antigua.
- Day 7: Travel to the Highlands of Guatemala and meet with local human rights organizers; tour a working coffee farm.
- Days 8-9: Pick coffee; tour a coffee processing mill; meet coffee farmers; go birding.
- Day 10: A day of rest and relaxation on beautiful Lake Atitlán.
- Day 11: Tour an industrial coffee mill; special farewell dinner.
Spaces are limited, so reserve your spot soon!